Sunday, November 10, 2013

10/14/2013: It's All About Needs

10/14/2013

I have been working on my first assignment from Greg over the past few days.  My first assignment was to define what I want and why.  As I am working on it, it does become clear that, as Greg said, it is all about fulfilling my needs.  It's not about the money and what it can buy.  It is more about the achievement itself and what that achievement can allow me.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs


I believe the main needs that I am searching to satisfy are:

1) Peace of mind: My mind is so often filled with worry about my job (layoffs, deadlines, system problems, etc) or financial concerns  (is there enough money to cover this month's bills, will I be able to help my kids when they need financial help, will I ever be able to retire).  I literally lose so much sleep worrying about these issues.  (Safety)

2) Pride: I want to feel a sense of achievement, which I now lack.  I want to be proud of what I do.  I want others to be proud of me. I want to make a difference to those close to me and in this world.  (Esteem)

3) Enjoyment: The ability, time and money, to do what I want to do when I want to do it.  Things like travel, going to concerts/events with great seats, buying an awesome car, exercise, time for creativity (self-actualization)
Note: Okay, here is a perfect example, my father just called me.  He said tomorrow is supposed to be a beautiful day and he asked if I wanted to go golfing with him.  Well, I want to but  I had to say no.  I have a deadline this Friday and I have so much work to complete by then.  And this is not the first time I had to turn down his offer to play golf because of the chains of the corporate world.  So, yet another opportunity to go relax, have fun and spend some quality time with my father is lost because of my job.  A job that already takes way to much from me.

================================================================

Be sure to check out and subscribe to the Making of a Millionaire You Tube Channel:  https://www.youtube.com/user/MakingMillionaire

Please feel free to leave any comments and/or questions and I will ensure they are read.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your views, suggestions, questions and comments on the Making of a Millionaire Project. I want to make this blog as valuable as possible.

Thank you!

Bill McManus