Saturday, February 15, 2014

02/15/2014: Olympic Lesson From Shaun White

My wife and I enjoy watching the winter Olympics together.  I really like to watch the snowboarding competitions.  Like the rest of the US, I was cheering on Shaun White, hoping he would be the first snowboarder to bring home gold for 3 consecutive Olympics.

The conditions weren't the best and although he gave it his best, he had a bad run on his last attempt.  Sadly Shaun was unable to bring home the gold.  He didnt' even bring home a medal, placing 4th in the half pipe competition.

"I'm disappointed," White said. "I hate the fact I nailed it in practice, but it happens. It's hard to be consistent."   

But, when asked if he would be competing in the 2018 Olympics he said "I think so".   After 4 years of training for these Olympics, Shaun didn't bring home the gold.  But, he is not giving up.  He will be going right back to training and will be back in 4 years.  I will be there to watch him and hope that next time everything works out for him.  I admire him for his talent and perseverance.  Go Shaun!

So, I took away a big lesson from this.  No matter how well you prepare and practice, there will be times when things just don't go your way.  Maybe you are doing all the right things but conditions aren't just right.  I will apply this lesson to my trading and to life in general.  There will be times when the conditions aren't just right and I will fall.  But like Shaun White, I just need to get back up and head to the top of the hill for another run and keep chasing the gold.

"Here's to your success"

Bill McManus


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your views, suggestions, questions and comments on the Making of a Millionaire Project. I want to make this blog as valuable as possible.

Thank you!

Bill McManus