Friday, October 23, 2015

10/23/2015: Starting Over The Right Way

     Okay, so it's time to put a plan in place in order to make this project succeed.  I have identified some of the major issues that have to be addressed.  The first being, assertiveness.  I know what things have to be done and there are times when I need to get outside of my comfort zone to make them happen.  Sometimes I have to push people.  But, I tend to be "too nice a guy", to a fault.  I worry too much about imposing upon other people, or coming across too strong. I have been told this many times over the years.  At just about every yearly appraisal in my job I was told by my managers, "you are to nice to your people.  You need to be harder on them".  Well, I struggle with that.  I feel that kindness goes a long way.  But, there is also a balance.  I can still be firm.  And if someone promises me something, there is nothing wrong with holding them to it.
     Greg had promised me several things when I was in the UK.  Well, I was sitting back waiting for him to address them.  But, he is busy and I am sure I am not on the top of his priority list.  So, instead of saying something, I would just sit and wait.  Well, none of the things were done,  Was it Greg's fault?  Nope, it was mine.  When we recently talked about it, he asked me "did you pick up the phone and call me?"  No, I didn't.  I didn't want to be a bother or impose.  Well, he said I was not assertive enough.  He said that I need to stop being a nice guy and make things happen.  He said I need to hold him and others accountable.  When they commit to something, he said I need to get a date.  Then he said to follow up with an email confirming the promise and completion date.  Finally, he said if the completion date comes and it has not been completed to CALL and get it addressed.
     So, I am going to heed his advice.  There were some promises made back when I was in the UK. I have asked Greg if the offers are still valid.  If they are, and I certainly hope they are, I will get commitment dates and ensure they are completed.  And I am going to ENSURE things are done in the future.  It is for my own good.  I am awaiting Greg's reply on the offers now.  More to come...


"Here's To Your Success..."

Bill McManus

PS - Don't forget to subscribe to get regular updates on the project.  I will be sharing all the valuable lessons and information that I learn along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your views, suggestions, questions and comments on the Making of a Millionaire Project. I want to make this blog as valuable as possible.

Thank you!

Bill McManus